Friday, November 23, 2012

THIS HEART WILL NEVER DIE

A friend asked me to write something about Miles Away for a little book she is putting together, This is what i came up with,

The first time i saw miles away i was 15, new to the scene and one of the first hardcore shows i had been to. i can honestly say that day completely change my life. Growing up in a place where I always felt out of place and out of step discovering the hardcore community offered me something more, a place for me to be me without shame where it didn't matter your age, your race or your gender, we all had something in common. we are the outcasts that found a place. For me miles away epitomizes that feeling. I have been so lucky to have been able to spend the last 7 years listening to there records, going to their shows and having all night dance parties with them. My fondest memories of friends an my favourite shows are all miles away related. Sneaking into pubs underage during the dinner service and hiding in the bathroom until I heard the first band start up. Lying to my parents about staying at friends houses when I was really in Canberra at a show. Having the band sleep on the floor of my parents living room at the peak of my fangirlism and hoping none of the accidentally went into my bed room because I had their lyrics scrawled all over the walls. Everytime they toured I found myself going to as many shows as I could possibly get to whether it meant flying interstate, a 4 hour train trip to penrith or a fun road trip with my best friends. I was lucky enough to have been at some of the most memorable shows, The bondi house show Is a day I will never forget, extremely hungover and swelteringly hot. All those bodies squished into the smallest room with a full ramp installed, people were sliding into eachother next to noone was wearing a shirt it didn't matter if you didn't know the person next to you in that moment you were mates you could put your arm around them and scream along. The shows at the jamo in Canberra where something would always go wrong, the sound getting cut off and all of us being to drunk/excited to notice as carrying on like nothing had happened. When they played with lifetime at the manning bar and Dave broke his ankle? First song in and had to wear a moon boot for months. I was lucky enough to have them play my 19th birthday party at dryburgh st. We tried to keep it secret but 100's of people showed up as did police helicopters. One of the most memorable and raucous nights of my life. I did my first stage dive to miles away, I met my best friends at miles away shows, I told my best friend I was pregnant at a miles away show the first time i had the courage to go up thr front and "mosh" was a miles away show. Miles away have always been there in the seminal moments of my life. They are a band who's lyrics ring true to 1000's of people me included. I am thankful for all they have given me all the fun times I have shared with them and all the amazing memories they have created for me. Miles away will always hold a special place In my heart (this heart will never die)

No comments: